When it’s all going well, it’s great, but all too quickly, one wrong move or lack of concentration can be extremely hazardous.
I’ve been reminded recently just how easy it is for an #RBL to take their focus off of the job at hand and how fast things change.
Complacency, distractions, sickness, tiredness and boredom (yes I said it), can all have an impact causing an almost immediate impact on the business and sales performance.
As a very blunt rule of thumb, most businesses run with 10 months GP/NFI paying the bills and 2 months making up the bosses income! (It’s crude but hang in there)
This rule means if the business has a shocker that’s a 50% impact on the Boss’s income! (See now it makes sense!)
So if a Boss relaxes and empowers other without the right supervision, direction and control and looks at a dashboard retrospectively rather than in real-time, the business will start to squeak and before you know it a quarter is lost!
So here are a few tips:
- Make sure EVERYONE in the business knows what YOU measure and don’t allow independent states of .Net for example (it’s your methods and if it needs a change you agree on it)
- Make sure the creative ideas are coming through all the time, and measure their success correctly so the best can be scaled out across the business (don’t go stale and keep all interested including you)
- Have meaningful and stretch goals that you are all bought into – relate these goals to everyone at a personal level! It’s not about hitting £1m as a biz it’s about them earning £100k
- Take on personal projects to keep the business going forward. It’s the innovation that wins market share and the hearts and minds of the team!
- Don’t do anything you are not proud of! You need to love your business and your people. Never say anything negative and be consistently consistent and positive. (Fake it if required !)
- Make time to laugh and enjoy what you do. It’s a privilege to run a business, and you have a duty of care for all the folk who have trusted their career, income and future to you. Make sure you do hit your mark every day!
- Build a strong team of advisors around you who hold you to account – finance, operations, NED’s can help, but it’s your passion for this that will make the difference!
Staying focused can double your income without any dramas! It’s hard but nothing easy ever paid as well.